MembersI'm New
Jesus Is the Only Way!
by Mark Perkins, elder on April 22nd, 2012

LifeWay Research recently surveyed 1,000 Protestant churchgoers and asked them to respond to the following statement, “If a person is sincerely seeking God, he/she can obtain eternal life through religions other than Christianity.”  In response, only 40 percent of the churchgoers disagreed with this statement.  Unfortunately, this would indicate that the other 60 percent either agreed or were undecided about whether eternal life could be obtained through religions other than Christianity.  As Christian leaders, parents and other followers of Christ, this should be alarming and gives insight into the shift taking place in the belief system of many, not only within secular society, but also for some within the church.

The quest by mankind to bypass the exclusivity of Christ for salvation is not new, but it seems that our modern society has accelerated the advocacy of universalism.  Our news media especially seems saturated with calls for tolerance of other religious teachings and the advocacy that there are many ways to heaven.  Such universalistic viewpoints are contrary to the absolute truths spoken of in the Bible.  Jesus clearly proclaims in John 14:6, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.”  In this verse, the exclusiveness of Jesus as the only approach to the Father is emphatic and does not offer any of the so-called alternatives that many are seeking today.  Good works will not get you there, nor will the belief in the teachings of false religions or humanism.  Salvation is through Jesus Christ alone and that if we confess with our mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in our hearts God raised him from the dead, we will be saved (Romans 10:9).  There is no other way to obtain eternal life.

I am reminded of the words to the old hymn “My Hope is Built on Nothing Less” written by Edward Mote in the 1830’s:

My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus’ blood and righteousness;
I dare not trust the sweetest frame, but wholly lean on Jesus’ name.
On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand; all other ground is sinking sand.

My hope is that you have placed your complete faith in Jesus Christ, who alone is the way, and the truth, and the life.


Posted in not categorized    Tagged with no tags


0 Comments

Leave a Comment


Categories
no categories
Tags
no tags
Archive
2014 (1)
March (1)
2013 (8)
2012 (32)
January (4)
February (2)
March (4)
April (2)
May (3)
June (1)
July (2)
August (3)
September (3)
October (3)
November (2)
December (3)
2011 (34)
March (5)
April (6)
May (3)
June (4)
July (3)
August (3)
September (2)
October (2)
November (4)
December (2)